Saturday, June 2, 2012

Brussels. Not Brussel.

I think maybe, I might be a good cook. How's that for a confident statement?





(These are raw shredded brussels sprouts. Try say shredded brussels sprouts without saying bruSHel sprouts. Its hard. isn't it?)  I AM a good cook. That's better. I'm by no means intending to brag or boast, I'm actually as shocked as you are. Its not like I sent out a survey or won a cooking contest. In fact, my beautiful sister and I did enter this recipe contest earlier this year, only to be told try again another time...it was a for a flax seed, gluten free pizza crust. they probably weren't wrong to pass.




(toss 'em with evoo, salt and pepper. roast 'em for ten minutes. eat 'em in three. )  And really I only cook for one guy who happens to be legally obligated to tell me I am good cook as per a Certificate we signed almost nine years ago. I think maybe I just had a really good cooking week. I felt inspired to take recipes and really just work with what I had at home. Part of that is lifestyle dictated. (Its frowned upon to run to the grocery store while your 18 month old is sleeping.) And part is that I guess you tend to get better at things you practice at. Go figure.





(I missed photographing a few steps from brussels to this but they were pretty boring. This salad though. Not boring at all.) I think I have learned better techniques, I have become more patient and I am learning to trust my instincts. This dish above? No recipe. I am just trying to make more salads (part of a post you will see soon) and needed something not lettuce based.  And here is a little diddy for you apparently the Brussels sprout was named after the city of Brussels and therefore is not a Brussel spout as I have been calling it my whole life - rather a Brussels sprout. Am I lame for not knowing that? Why did I think it was called a Brussel(s) sprout? I guess I never did think.

Now I'm gonna do something I have never done...pen my first original recipe.





Warm Basmati Rice Salad with Roasted Brussels Sprouts.

2 cups of uncooked Basmati Rice (I made lots of leftovers and chilli the next night)
4 cups of liquid (use something flavourful if you can..stock, whey, broth)
1/2 diced onions
1/2 cup of diced carrots with a couple of carrots reserved for ribbons
1 T. dried parsley
1 T. garlic, minced
lemon zest
1 1/2 cups of chopped spinach
1 1/2 cups of shredded brussels sprouts
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
handful of chopped parsley and cilantro

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Place the first 7 ingrediants in a dutch oven or sauce pan and cook rice according to package instructions.
  3. When the rice has five minutes left, throw in the spinach on top and close lid again.
  4. Wash brussel sprouts removing any loose outside layers, then cut crosswise about 1/4 inch thick moving toward the stem. (should resemble cabbage from a coleslaw)
  5. Toss b/s in oilve oil, salt and pepper. Generously coast cookie sheet with olive oil.
  6. Please brussel sprouts on cookie sheet in oven for 10 - 15 minutes. Keep an eye on them. My oven is fairly hot and they got dark pretty fast. You may want to toss them every five minutes or so. You definitley want a bit of char on them - gives a really nutty flavour to the salad.
  7. When everything is done, toss all together and top with some chopped parlsey and cilantro. Serve warm or cold.
Just one last thing: Mr. sixtyone45 wanted some protein in his so he tossed his portion with a couple scambled eggs which was good too. I think you could easiely throw some chicken or prawns in with this as well.  Other variations would be to chop some kale or throw in some chick peas.

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy! I'm planning to try it once I get back home to the East Coast. So great meeting you in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete